Last year saw Canada set a new record for the number of international students studying in the country as it welcomed 450,000 new students. Canada ranks among the most attractive countries to study in for international students for several reasons. It upholds a particularly high quality of education, guarantees safety and security, and has a rich multicultural background. As an international student in Canada, you can work throughout your studies and qualify for a Post-Graduation Work Permit(PGWP) after graduation from the program.

The PGWP program allows international students to gain work experience relevant to the Canadian labor market which makes it easier for them to gain permanent residence in the country. Canada has more than 100 economic class immigration programs with most of them catering to international students. Based on studies conducted by the Canadian government, international students show great performances in the labor market after gaining permanent residence. The success is attributed to youthfulness, proper education, ability to communicate effectively using both written and spoken French and English, and previous Canadian work experience.

But how can you get a chance to study in Canada? Here are some tips.

Know Where You Plan on Studying

Canada boasts a huge number of high-quality universities, colleges, and post-secondary institutions available to international students. Before you decide to study in Canada, you need to have some info on the educational programs that align with your interests and career goals.

You should also spend some time on the website of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before submitting your application. You should only apply to institutions listed on the IRCC as designated learning institutions (DLI). A DLI is a post-secondary institution authorized to welcome international students by the Canadian government.

If you want to get a PGWP after graduating, you need to apply to an institution and program that allows you to qualify for a PGWP. You can find all these details on the IRCC website. Once you have all the relevant information, you can submit your application.

Get a Letter of Acceptance

If approved for a Canadian DLI, you will get a Letter of Acceptance (LOA). The LOA is a compulsory requirement when applying for a study permit to IRCC. The LOA will have various details including:

  • The name and contact information of the DLI
  • Your name, date of birth, and mailing address
  • The study program, level, duration of the study, the start date, and estimated date of completion
  • The expiry date of the LOA

You are exempted from the LOA if you have a family member whose work or study permit is approved in writing before you enter the country. However, it does not guarantee the approval of a study permit.

Pages: 1 2