Planning to stay in Canada for the summer? Here’s what you need to know about finding a Job.

If you’re an international student staying in Canada for the summer, you might have some questions about finding a job while you wait for the next Semester to start. That’s why international students are eager to learn how summer jobs work in Canada. It’s a great opportunity to earn some money and support themselves during their studies.

Let’s break down what you need to know in simple ways.

Can International Students Work in Canada?

Indeed, international students in Canada are permitted to work without needing an additional work permit if their study permit already grants them work authorization. This authorization will delineate whether they are eligible to work on-campus, off-campus, or both.

Understanding Work-Hour Policies

First things first, you need to know about the work-hour policies of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). These rules can change depending on the time of year.

During the summer, which is usually considered a “scheduled break” in the academic calendar, international students can work up to 40 hours or more per week. However, once the academic year resumes, you can work up to 20 hours per week. This limit will increase to 24 hours per week in the fall.

This update replaces a temporary policy that allowed students to work more than 20 hours per week while classes were in session, which ended on April 30, 2024.

These rules help you balance work and studies, ensuring you don’t overextend yourself during school terms.

Job Options for Summer Work

You can take on pretty much any job as long as you meet the eligibility criteria for working on or off campus (see details below). Not sure what kind of job to look for? Explore some of the top jobs for international students in Canada from last year here.

Is a Work Permit Required?

No specific work permit is necessary. However, you must fulfill certain criteria:

For on-campus work:

  • Hold a valid study permit or maintained status
  • Have started your studies
  • Have work authorization specified on your study permit
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student at an eligible institution
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

For off-campus work:

  • Attend classes full-time at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Be registered in a qualifying study program that’s at least six months program resulting in a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • Have commenced your studies
  • Have a SIN

Part-time students can also work off-campus under specific conditions. Check out this IRCC webpage for more details.

Pages: 1 2