If you’ve already decided to become a doctor, you know that you’ve got a long road ahead of you! Becoming a doctor requires years of education and a huge time commitment, but in the end it will all be worth it. Here’s how you can get started!
- Undergraduate Degree
- The first step you will need to take is completing your undergraduate degree. You should take classes in the sciences, including chemistry and biology. This will help prepare you for your studies in medical school.
- In order to be admitted to a faculty of medicine in Canada, many schools require you to take the Medical College Admission Tests (MCATs), in addition to completing your undergraduate degree. This is a way to test your knowledge of the subject matter and the exam is offered at various times throughout the year.
- Faculties of Medicine
- There are seventeen faculties of medicine in Canada that can train you to become a doctor. Many of these schools have residency requirements and accept most applicants from their local province. Be sure to check each school’s admissions requirements, as they can vary from school to school. You do not want to take the MCATs if the school you are applying to does not require them!
- Medical Council of Canada examinations
- After you have made it through medical school, the journey is not over! In your final years of school, you will be required to take examinations through the Medical Council of Canada in order to officially be licensed as a doctor.