There are over 600,000 overseas students enrolled in Australian schools, colleges and Universities. Many of these students remain in Australia when they graduate and become part of our skilled workforce.

In some cases, students who complete a course of study in Australia may be eligible to apply for Australian permanent residency under the Skilled Migration Category.

Australia provides a unique kind of education and a learning style that encourages you to be innovative, creative and think independently. Australia attracts a large number of international students. In some countries Australia is the students’ first choice study destination.

Australia offers excellent value for money and a standard of living, which is among the highest in the world. Living expenses and tuition costs in Australia are considerably less expensive than the UK and USA.

Unless you are applying for a student visa under the Streamlined Visa Processing pathway, your country of passport and course of study determines your assessment level.



Visa Options

English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)

Applies to stand-alone English language courses that lead to a certificate I, II, III or IV, or that result in no formal Australian award.

Primary or secondary school course

Applies to primary, junior secondary or senior secondary school courses, and approved secondary school exchange programs.

Vocational education and training

Applies to Certificates I, II, III or IV (except ELICOS), diploma, advanced diploma, vocational graduate certificate or vocational graduate diploma courses.

Higher education

Applies to a Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, or Masters by coursework.

Postgraduate research

Applies to Masters by research or a doctoral degree.


Applies to non-award foundation studies, or other full-time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award.

AusAID and Defence

Applies to students sponsored by AusAID or the Australian Department of Defence undertaking full-time courses of any type.

Student Guardians

Parents or relatives can apply for a visa to stay in Australia as the guardian of a student who is studying in Australia