The UK is, most definitely, the highly popular immigration destinations for a lot of people wishing to live and work in a new country. However, the UK’s immigration system is strongly guarded and takes a lot of factors into consideration.
The UK’s visa system
In the recent years, the UK introduced a five-tier, points-based visa system which measures and assess applicants against various criteria to ascertain the eligibility for a UK work or study visa. After the implementation of this system, most study visa and the work-related visa applications are governed by this visa system. Also, the UK government has made a lot of changes to UK immigration law in order to guard the UK immigration process in light of strained political environment.
Details of the 5 Tier UK Visa Systems
The UK five-tier visa systems consist of the following types-
- Tier 1 Visa: Mainly for the high-value migrants and the category covers the entry of entrepreneurs, investors, and business people in the UK.
- Tier 2 Visa: Category is catered mainly to the skilled workers with a job offer in the UK.
- Tier 3 Visa: Mainly for the low-skilled workers filling specific temporary labor shortages in the UK.
- Tier 4 Visa: This category is largely for the students aged over 16 from who wish to study in the UK.
- Tier 5 Visa: The category is for a range of temporary worker including charity, religious workers, creative, and the youth mobility scheme related people.
Having said this, UK is still among the top 3 choices along with USA and Australia when it comes to the workers and students looking for immigration to a new country. Below are some of the main reasons for this choice-
- Social reasons: The UK is a multi-cultural society and is highly tolerant and encourages all lifestyles. It is also a safe country with low rates of crime which makes it a favorite destination for students and working class.
- Education opportunities: The UK is one of the sophisticated nations with best education facilities and is a preferred destination for the students due to the world famous universities, high-quality free healthcare system available to all, and large welfare system to support and assist the foreign students and workers.
- Unlimited employment opportunities: For the foreign nationals looking for work opportunities, UK offers great options. The factors such as low unemployment rate in the country, high job turnover rate for the skilled workers, encouraging work culture, amazing compensation, generous leaves, statutory maternity and paternity benefits etc makes the UK as one of the favorite destination for many.
- Economic and cultural reasons: One of the main reasons for the UK being the top choice for immigration is the fact that the country is the world’s 5th largest economy with a strong currency and low inflation rates. Also, the cultural and historical lineage of the country is really strong and inclusive.
Are UK migrants enjoying same benefits as citizens of the host country?
The working class and the self-employed population including their family members are entitled to same benefits as the citizens of the country. UK native though enjoys more entitlements, however, the migrants do have the access to certain benefits and the same depend on the amount of time a worker has been paying contributions to the nation.
Students or the Jobless migrants are not entitled to the same range of benefits as the working class. UK migrants from the working class pay social security contributions to cover sickness, maternity or paternity, unemployment, invalidity or occupational injuries.