Who can apply for citizenship of Australia?
As an immigrant
If you want to be a citizen of Australia, you will be eligible to apply for it only if you have been a resident in the country for a total of 24 months in the last 5 years. The application fee is $120.
- You have to be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a permanent resident of Australia.
- You must have a strong hold on the basics of English.
- You must have a good understanding of the privileges you receive as an Australian citizen. You should know what your responsibilities are towards the country.
- You should be well-informed about all the terms, conditions and details of Australian citizenship.
- You must have a good character and have a close association with the country.
- If you are over the age of 50 years, you are not subject to the criteria of having a good hold on English.
- If you are above 60 years of age, you need not understand and comply with the responsibilities and privileges of an Australian citizen.
- You will be given the privileges of exceptional rules if you belong to one or more of the following categories.
- The exception applies to personnel and professionals who belong to armed forces. If you have served for at least three months, you are eligible for this category.
- If you are a former Australian citizen, you pass the eligibility criteria for exceptions. For this, you need to have evidence that you have stayed in Australia as a resident for 12 months or more in the last 2 years.
If you need a permanent resident of Australia and you are engaged with the country in a way that benefits the citizens or the country, you will be eligible for this Visa category. There are various conditions and you have to fulfill one or more of them. For instance, if you are a spouse or widow of an Australian citizen, or have stayed in the country for 12 months in the last 2 years, you will be considered as an eligible candidate for this Visa category.
If you can show evidence that you would suffer extreme hardship if you are not granted permanent citizenship of Australia, your case might be taken into account.