Statistics Canada recently unveiled an important study that alters the way it calculates non-permanent residents (NPRs) in Canada.

NPRs constitute a total of 2,198,679 persons in Canada, as indicated by the most recent population estimation. A more than one million increase from Census 2021.

The report is notable because Statistics Canada admits to having inadequately counted the country’s NPR population in the past. The updated technique has crucial consequences for Canadian public policy in several sectors, including immigration, economic and labor market planning, and housing, among others.

The Population Of Canada Is Now Over 40.1 Million People.

According to the most recent data, NPRs in Canada have increased by 46% year over year. Most of the expansion is due to an increase in employment and study permits. It is the greatest increase in NPRs since records began in 1971/72.

On July 1, 2023, the country’s population was predicted to be 40,097,761, which was a rise of 1,158,705 from July 1, 2022, and over 100,000 over the threshold of 40,000,000 obtained in June 2023.

The result is that Canada still leads the G7 in population growth and is among the top 20 countries in the world. The most recent figure indicates the highest annual population growth rate since 1957. According to Statistics Canada, if the pace of population growth recorded this year continues, the Canadian population will have doubled in 25 years.

According to the analysis, net foreign migration accounted for over 98% of the increase in the Canadian population from July 1, 2022, to July 1, 2023, with the remaining 2% being made up of the difference between births and deaths.

The substantial rise in global migration is attributed to approximately 470,000 new permanent resident arrivals and a roughly 700,000 increase in the total population of NPRs.

The aggregate number of NPRs with work permits was anticipated to be above 1.4 million in July 2023, up 64% from around 870,000 in July 2022. According to Statistics Canada, much of this rise can be ascribed to the influx of Ukrainians after the Russian occupation of their nation.

Fertility rates in Canada hit a new low in 2022, with 1.33 children per woman, down from 1.44 in 2021. Another recent Statistics Canada research found that Canadian women had 20,000 fewer newborns between 2018 and 2022.

Pages: 1 2