Family Members: If you are the family member of a foreign national who is a resident, working, or studying then you are probably exempt from the travel ban as well. Here is a list of affiliated people who will be able to enter Canada:

  • Spouses and common-law partners
  • Dependent children and children of spouses and common-law partners
  • Dependent children of dependent children of either the Canadian resident or their spouse or common-law partner
  • A guardian or tutor
  • Parents or step-parents
  • A parent’s or step-parent’s spouse or common-law partner

Note: Age is not a factor for the parents, and there is no requirement to establish a dependency, however children must be age 21 or under unless they are financially dependent on the resident or partner due to disability.

Adult Children of Canadian residents will be exempt if they have an official letter confirming that the purpose of their travel is to reunite with family. This letter must be issued by the IRCC, Canadian Border Services Agency or Global Affairs Canada.

Location isn’t a factor for the traveling Canadian resident or family member. Family members must present documents that show their relationship to the resident, and proof of their family member’s resident in Canada upon boarding.

You can provide your documentation in either electronic or paper format.

You will need one of these to enter Canada:

  • Canadian passport
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship
  • Canadian permanent resident card
  • Canadian permanent resident travel document
  • Visa-exempt foreign passport and IRCC special authorization for Canadian citizens showing their relationship to the family member
  • Marriage or common-law status certificate
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
  • Other documents supporting an immediate family connection

Pages: 1 2