Permit to Work Following Graduation (PGWP)

Foreign student graduates who have finished a post-secondary program at an authorized Designated Learning Institution may be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) (DLI). It is an open work permit, which means that the bearer is not bound to a single employer or profession. Courses offered that are longer than 8 months but less than 2 years in duration may qualify for a PGWP that is proportional to the duration of their program. Foreign students who have successfully completed two-year programs can qualify for a three-year PGWP.

Bridging Unrestricted Work Permit (BOWP)

The Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) enables some permanent residence candidates to remain in Canada after their temporary status expires.

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Quebec Skilled Workers
  • Provincial Nominee Program
  • Agri-Food Pilot Program

Foreign employees who may be qualified for the CEC have been denied the opportunity to apply for permanent residency from September 2021. They cannot get a BOWP until they receive an Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) from IRCC. They may, however, be eligible for further work permits based on their circumstances.

Open Work Permit for Spouse (SOWP)

Spousal sponsorship may be a possibility if your spouse or common-law partner is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. If you apply for sponsorship from within Canada, you are deemed an in-land candidate and may be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP), which is reserved for the spouses and common-law partners of Canadians who are through the immigration process.

Additionally, spouses of temporary residents may be eligible for an open work permit. Temporary foreign employees must satisfy specific eligibility requirements, including holding a work permit that is valid for six months after the receipt of the open spousal work permit. Additionally, the foreign worker must fulfill one of four criteria:

  • Employment at the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A, or B;
  • Employment in any profession upon admission to an Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) stream;
  • Employed in any profession for which they have been nominated by a province or territory government under the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP); or
  • Employed in any field and possessing a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ).

Additionally, there are program-specific requirements that must be satisfied based on the status of the temporary foreign worker.

Spouses of overseas students may be eligible for an open work visa provided they can show to the government that they are in a real relationship with their spouse, who is enrolled in an authorized program.

Pages: 1 2